This brings translations, two new lands with new mechanics (Cocytus and Dry Forest), the Euclidean mode, and several other minor improvements to free and Android players. Additionally, HyperRogue Gold now has access to online achievements and leaderboards, via Google Games Services.
Have fun! And buy the Steam version too! You not only get access to Steam leaderboards and achievements, but also more interest on Steam generates faster development of new versions. Currently five new lands are planned, including: a land where you can witness battles between large armies, a land filled with a regular and dense pattern of ultraparallel lines, a hyperbolic fjord with a regular but complicated pattern and enemies which require different ways for defeating, a randomly generated cave (similar to the Lab and the Forest, but this one is mostly static), and a land where you can find lots of magical orbs, but guarded by very powerful enemies.
The full changelog from 4.4 to 5.5a below:
- The new land, the Dry Forest, has been added. This land includes Hedgehog Warriors who cannot be attacked directly and need to be 'stabbed' instead, and Fire Fairies who set the forest on fire.
- Cocytus was previously available only for cheaters (and extremely good players), now it has been improved and released officially. It includes floors which melt when you are around for too long, and monsters which manipulate heat.
- Euclidean mode. In this mode, the mechanics of HyperRogue are exactly the same, but the game is played on a usual hex board. This mode allows you to check why the hyperbolic geometry matters.
- Translation engine. HyperRogue currently has a Czech, Polish, and Turkish translation. It has a powerful translation engine, so grammar is used correctly (it even uses the female forms correctly when playing a female character). Also some typos have been fixed. Please contact me if you would like to provide an additional translation.
- AI improvement. Monsters will try not to block each other. This does not help them much in the hyperbolic world (but it does in the Euclidean mode).
- Gameboard mode. This can be used for designing your own hyperbolic games and art.
- The player character can be customized (colors, male or female).
- The game now tracks the realtime passed while playing the game.
- The configuration screen has been split into three pages. This allows it to include more options, like configuring the joystick not through editing the config files.
- If you don't press any keys, the last messages will stay on the screen. Also the time of message flashing is now configurable.
- Collecting Hyperstones was too easy, this has been rebalanced. If you have started collecting Hyperstones, enemies appear on the Crossroads.
- Slime can now be spilled into other lands, and it can even be used to build bridges.
- Dead trolls and bonfires no longer stabilize the Land of Eternal Motion.
- Blocked tentacles of Cthulhu no longer disappear immediately. Instead, they withdraw one cell at a time, until the whole tentacle is gone.
- If you are travelling through land A and see land B, and you have much more treasure in Land B than in Land A, you will find less treasures in B, or even you won't find any. This is done to prevent strategies where you get lots of treasures in some land by sticking to another, safe land.
- Wandering seeps and ghosts will come when you stay in one place for too long. When you get stuck in the Living Cave, just wait until they come and kill you.
- Orb of Winter now provides resistance to fire, which is useful in R'Lyeh and the Dry Forest.
- Some minor problems with mimics (mirror images and mirages) have been fixed.
- Golems are now saved by Orbs of Safety.
- The "X" now displays the remaining distance to the Key.
- Better info about the Hyperstone Quest in the quest screen.
- Fixed some bugs in the hyperbolic graphics editor, so it should be more usable now.